Welcome to the greatest wild flower show on earth with MapStudio’s newly released Visitor’s Guide Flower Route.
This guide explores the coast north of Cape Town when 3,500 species burst into bloom in the veld during the sexiest part of their reproduction cycle. Of course it all depends on when the rain comes.
Whether you are a happy-snapper type of tourist or a more serious flower lover with botanical leanings, a visit to the flowers will lighten the heart, lift the spirit and pique the curiosity.
The guide combines visual inspiration with practical advice on where to see the best wild spring flowers, starting with early bloomers in late July to September’s spectacular landscapes and October’s lesser-known gems.
There is also a great overview map as well as flower-spotting tips, identification of commonly seen flowers, wildlife alerts, tourist spots, accommodation, flower etiquette and the protection of flowers.
This guide is a fantastic keepsake for anyone who enjoys leaving the city life behind, and is light-weight for tourists to take back home as their travel memento.
– Springbok, Okiep, Concordia, Goegap Nature Reserve
– Kamieskroon & Garies: routes to Springbok, Kamiesberg Pass & Leliefontein to Garies, Grootvlei Pass to Hondeklip Baai
– Namaqua National Park, Skilpad, new Groen-Spoeg coastal stretch, Soebatsfontein, natural vs alien growth
– Vanrhynsdorp: Waterval Oord, Ouberg & Gifberg Passes route, Matsikamma Plateau hikes & rock art, Ou Tronk & Kokerboom Nursery in town, Klawer-Lutzville wine
– Nieuwoudtville: waterfall, Kokerboom forest & windmill museum on Loeriefontein route, Hantam National Botanical Garden & Matjiesfontein farm on Southern route, Hel se Pas & stone cottages
– Clanwilliam & Cederberg: Biedouw Valley, Pakhuis Pass & Leipoldt grave, Ramskop Nature Reserve & flower show; rooibos tea factory; Elandsberg Eco Farm tours
– Velddrif, Hopefield, Paternoster, Rocherpan Nature Reserve, Cape Columbine Nature Reserve & lighthouse, Boggoms Ave, birding hotspot, West Coast Fossil Park, flower show
– West Coast National Park: bird hides, lagoon ecosystem, islands, Kraal Bay & Eve’s footprint, wildlife, Postberg reserve
– Darling: Tienie Versveld reserve, Waylands Farm, Evita se Peron, wine route, flower show
– Table Mountain National Park, hikes, Cape Point, wildlife, humans’ effects, sacred sites
– Kogelberg, Betty’s Bay, Kleinmond, Clarence Drive, Stoney Point penguins, Harold Porter National Botanical Garden, hikes in Kogelberg Reserve
– Each spread includes info on accommodation and farm stalls in the relevant section of map
– Main attractions and flower spotting identification images